I’d like to take a minute to spotlight the newly announced Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 product editions. This includes the all-new Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN, Visual Studio Professional with MSDN and the free Visual Studio Community edition – coming later this year.
Visual Studio 2015 is designed to boost the power and productivity of Microsoft’s integrated development environment used to develop computer programs for Windows as well as websites, web applications and web services. Microsoft also wants to make it more affordable and easier to use, regardless of what platform you are on or what app you are building.
Overview of Visual Studio 2015
Changes to the Visual Studio product line include the following. Microsoft is retiring the Visual Studio Premium with MSDN and Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN offerings and automatically transitioning existing subscribers to a new, top-of-the-line offering: Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN. This new product will be significantly more affordable than Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN.
When Visual Studio 2015 is released later this year, all active Visual Studio with MSDN subscribers will be upgraded to the new editions as noted in the following table:
Visual Studio Community- A free, full-featured and extensible tool for developers building non-enterprise applications
Visual Studio Professional with MSDN- Professional developer tools and services for individual developers or small teams
Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN- An enterprise grade solution with advanced capabilities for teams working on projects of any size or complexity, including advanced testing and DevOps
Visual Studio 2015 free lineup:
- Microsoft will continue to offer free tooling in the Visual Studio 2015 lineup, with no feature changes:
- Visual Studio Community 2015 (no change in use restrictions)
- Visual Studio Express 2015 for Web
- Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows
- Visual Studio Express 2015 for Windows Desktop
Pricing for the Visual Studio 2015 lineup (paid offerings):
- There will be no price changes for current paid offerings that remain in the Visual Studio 2015 lineup:
- Visual Studio Professional
- Visual Studio Professional with MSDN
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server User CAL
- Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Device CAL
- Visual Studio Test Professional with MSDN
- MSDN Platforms
- MSDN Operating Systems will be discontinued as of September 1, 2015 and no longer offered for sale.
New Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 (paid offerings)
- The release of Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 this summer will replace the Premium and Ultimate products that were available in Visual Studio 2013. The pricing of Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN will be significantly less than the current price of Visual Studio Ultimate with MSDN.
- Visual Studio Enterprise with MSDN
The Visual Studio Offering
The newest version of Microsoft’s integrated, modern development toolset enables teams of any size to turn ideas into high-quality, scalable apps. Powerful web development tools for your environment, streamlined deployment to the cloud and the ability to create applications for iOS, Android and Windows from a single development solution, all make Visual Studio 2015 the mobile-first, cloud-first solution for every developer and development team.
See the Microsoft Visual Studio blog for additional product announcements. Reach out below to request more information or to share your opinion about Microsoft Visual Studio.